2011年10月4日星期二

The boy in the jacket

We had been in Russia for a whole two weeks now and were at our final destination in St Petersburg. For 15 hours a day over 14 days, we had been clowning everywhere and anywhere that was humanly possible. We had visited many orphanages, hospitals and nursing homes and had clowned all through the streets of Russia. On this final day, cheap hardy moncler jacket we were to visit a large orphanage for children with disabilities.
As we arrived, we were informed that we would split into smaller groups so we could reach as many children as possible. I remember finding myself with a group of about eight clowns from all over the world. By this time, hardy moncler coats all the clowns were like family and we had grown very close to one another. The eight of us were led by a staff member through many doors and stairwells till we finally reached a small room of children. If you have worked with children with disabilities, you will be aware that sometimes they can be very excitable and engaging. As our group of clowns entered the room, all the children started to jump up and approach us with great laughter and excitement.
As I was dancing with one particular child, I remember noticing two children in the corner of the cheap moncler down on a large beanbag who were not engaging with anyone. After I finished my dance, I started to slowly make my way toward them and sat quietly on the beanbag. I then began stroking them gently; one boy on his stomach and the other on his back as I started to sing the little I knew of a Russian lullaby. As I was singing, the boy whose back I was rubbing slowly began to sit up. And there he was, the boy in the jacket. I had only ever read accounts of children in orphanages who were kept in straight-jackets. To suddenly be in front of one shattered me to the core of my being.
I turned to the staff member who was close by and, through the translator who was with us, asked if the jacket could be removed. I was met with resistance and was bluntly told, ‘He is a violent and aggressive child and will hurt you and himself’. I reassured the staff member that I worked with children in my own country and that if at any point she felt he or I were unsafe, she could put the jacket back on. Hesitantly, she agreed but, moncler clairy discount as she removed the jacket I was met with a look, which I translated as ‘you are a crazy foreign clown’.

没有评论:

发表评论